Butter flavored canola oil cooking spray
1/4 cup chopped red pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon chopped pimento (optional)
2 tablespoons water
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Coat a 6 inch skillet with the cooking spray. Place the skillet over medium heat until it is hot.
- Add the vegetables and sauté them until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the skillet and set them aside.
- Combine the eggs, water and pepper and mix well. Recoat the skillet with the cooking spray and place the skillet over medium heat until hot enough to sizzle a drop of water.
- Pour in half of the egg mixture. As the egg starts to cook, gently lift the edges of the omelette and tilt the pan to allow any uncooked portion of the egg to flow underneath. Spoon half of the vegetables over half of the omelette when the eggs are set and the top is still moist and creamy. Top with 1 tablespoon of cheese, spread evenly over the omelet. Fold the unfilled side over the filling and place on a warm platter.
Tips and Variations:
- You can easily vary the recipe according to the vegetables you have on hand and what you like. Try diced zucchini and chopped tomatoes (seeds removed) and add a bit of Parmesan to the egg mixture before you cook it.
- For a meat lovers omelet, cook 1/4 cup thinly sliced and chopped ham with the vegetables.
- If you like your eggs a bit plainer, omit the vegetables altogether and eat it plain or just with the melted cheese.
- Change the cheese you use to change the omelet flavor. Use Swiss or Gruyere cheese for a different flavor, or try a spiced havarti or Monterey Jack cheese. Anything that melts!
- Try a bacon omelet. Cook two slices of bacon until they are well cooked. Break the slices up into pieces and add the pieces to the omelet recipe as it cooks. Top with the cheese if desired. Yum!
- Mexican omelette – Use a sharp cheese with Mexican spices (or a spicy havarti because it melts well) as well as the vegetables in the main recipe above. When the omelet is ready, serve it topped with your favorite hot sauce and salsa.